By Omar Echevers // Product Specialist, Remote Control Business Unit on July 13, 2010
8 Comments + 2 Replies
Filed: Digital Home
This week I want to show you how you can add favorite channels with icons to the LCD screen of your Harmony One remote. You may wish to do this because you consistently watch a few specific channels that you want to easily jump to, or because other members of your household can’t remember the HD version of the channel that they regularly watch. Another great reason, for parents of young children, is you can set up a ‘Watch Kids TV’ activity and set all the favorites to kid-appropriate stations such as the Disney channel, Nickelodeon or the Cartoon Network. This makes it very easy for children of any age to easily access their content on even the most complicated cable or satellite box.
- Click on the ‘Activities‘ tab in the Logitech Harmony remote software
- Select the activity that you wish to add favorite channels to and click on the ‘Settings‘ button
- Select ‘Set Up Favorite Channels and add icons‘ and click on the ‘Next‘ button
- Enter in the channel number in the Channel column, enter in a name for the channel only if you are not using an image for the favorite channel
- Click on the ‘Select Image‘ button next to the channel to add an icon
- From the list of channel logos, click on the Image to select the logo you want or click on ‘Browse‘ to upload your own icons
- When done click ‘Save‘, and then ‘Done‘
- Update your remote for the changes to take effect
To access them on the remote, press the ‘Favorites’ button that appears on the lower left of the LCD screen, or you can have them always appear after the start of an activity by selecting ‘Show these channels on my remote when I start my Activity’ during the setup.
You can find a few defaults within the Harmony software but most can be found on various sites online. My favorite site is iconharmony.com which was created and is maintained by a home theater enthusiast and a Harmony One owner. On the Logitech Harmony Community Forums he goes by the name of Squareeyes. He is a full time designer and ad man and started creating icons for himself and other forums members. They were such a hit that with the help of another fellow AV forum member, Shaun Thompson they created the site to keep track of the rapidly growing collection of icons.
To get your own icons simply go to iconharmony.com and click on the remote model you use. Start searching by country, channel name, or alphanumerically. Select the icons you want and add them to your cart. Once you have the ones you need download the ones from your cart to your computer. It will show up on your computer as the file: icons.zip.
If the site is missing an icon you want the best way to request a new channel icon is to send him your channel request, your country, and your remote model via http://twitter.com/iconharmony. You’ll be able track updates from there as well.
Be sure to check back every week for more Harmony tips and tricks and feel free to send us your comments.