Filed: Events and Culture
Whether you spend five minutes or five hours using your keyboard or mouse, these recommendations can help you stay comfortable and productive. So take a minute to read through these – and make sure you’re doing everything right!
Make sure that your workspace is set up properly.
- Put keyboard and monitor directly in front of you with your mouse next to it.
- Have your elbow next to your side.
- Adjust the height of your chair and table so that the keyboard and mouse are at or below elbow height.
- Place your mouse within easy reach so that your elbow can remain next to your side when using it.
- Have your feet well supported and your shoulders relaxed.
Keep your shoulders, arms, wrists, and hands relaxed and comfortable as you work.
- Let your arms hang loosely at your sides for a moment, allowing them to dangle toward the floor and to become relaxed.
- Try to maintain this relaxed feeling while you work.
- If you have a palm rest, use it between keying tasks, not while typing. Using it while typing may increase pressure against the hand and increase the chance of injury.
- When you use your keyboard or mouse, avoid placing or supporting your wrists on sharp edges or on your desk.
- As you use your mouse, make sure that your elbow is next to your side. Keep your wrist relaxed and straight – don’t bend it up, down, or to either side. Keep your shoulders relaxed, do not hunch or shrug.
For more recommendations, check out our complete set of comfort guidelines.