By Nixie Pixel // Video Blogger, Gaming Enthusiast, www.nixiepixel.com on October 20, 2010
28 Comments + 11 Replies
Filed: Digital Home
We all want to love our TVs again.
Photo by Khelvan taken at the SF loft
It’s no mystery that we’re all excited about the Revue allowing us to have an unrestrained interactive video experience in our living rooms. That’s not to say we don’t have questions about it.
Over the last few weeks, I have gathered your questions from the blog, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and even in person! So, leaving no stoned unturned, I bring you the frequently asked questions of the Logitech Revue with Google TV.
1. Will there be a cost for the Google TV service after buying the Logitech Revue?
No. The Google TV service is provided free of charge once the Logitech Revue has been purchased. Find out more pricing information here.
2. When will Logitech Revue with Google TV be available/shipped in North America?
The Logitech Revue units began shipping today – so order yours now!
3. Will Logitech Revue with Google TV restrict content to viewers by geography?
The Logitech Revue does not add additional geographic restrictions.
4. Will it be compatible with Windows Media Center, Xbox, or PS3?
The Logitech Revue will auto-detect many media center devices, and the Revue controller (or Android/iPhone smartphones) can control many devices directly.
5. Can it handle streaming media both on the Internet and local network?
Yes! The Revue will scan for and detect media center PCs and any DLNA-compatible server on the local network, as well as stream from popular Internet services, such as Pandora.
6. If you don’t have very good internet, how will Google TV work?
It will function as any other Internet device would. The Revue will not add additional overhead, so your Internet experience will be no more or less bandwidth intensive than it usually is.
7. Will I be able to buffer a show in the background while watching something else?
Absolutely. The Logitech Revue allows you to have multiple applications, or even Google Chrome “Windows,” active at the same time, enabling background buffering, or combinations such as listening to Pandora while surfing the web, or watching TV while making a video call with your friends, picture-in-picture.
8. Will Logitech Revue with Google TV be released outside of North America, and if so, when?
I can’t speak for Google, but I believe that Google TV will be in additional markets next year.
9. I don’t like the keyboard. Are there other controllers?
Logitech also offers a Mini controller as a add-on purchase. In addition, you can control the Revue and all your devices with your Andriod smartphone (iPhone app coming soon), using Harmony Link technology which is exclusive to Logitech.
10. How much upstream bandwidth is required for HD calls with the TV Cam?
A minimum of 1 MB/s upstream is recommended for full HD calls.
As always, feel free to keep asking questions… we’re committed to answering them. Regarding the question; ‘Will Logitech Revue with Google TV change the face of my television?’ We think so, but that’s up to you to decide.