A few weeks ago, we announced the Logitech Harmony 300 Remote. Since then, I’ve been reading comments on consumer electronics review sites and blogs to see what people are saying about the Harmony 300. The hot topic last week was the Watch TV button and people who want more information about how it works. In this week’s post I will explain how the Watch TV button works on the Harmony 300 and how you can customize it.
By default, when you initially set up your Harmony 300, your Watch TV button will power on your TV and cable or satellite box (if you have one). The remote is also placed into “Cable/Sat” mode in order to give you control over the cable or satellite box.
Once you have finished watching TV, pressing the Watch TV button again will turn the TV and cable or satellite box off.
Using My Harmony (the online Harmony 300 setup software), you can change which devices power on and off when you press the Watch TV button. If your TV supports the feature, you can even have the Harmony 300 set the input on your TV.
Customizing the Watch TV button on your Harmony 300 is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Go to myharmony.com and log in to your account.
- From the Home page, click Change or Fix What a Button Does.
- On the Change or Fix a Button – Device Selection page, select the device (i.e. your television) you want to make changes to and click OK.
- On the Change or Fix What a Button Does page, hover the mouse pointer over the Watch TV button on the remote image, and then click Setup.
- Select the devices you want turned on when you press the Watch TV button.
- To specify which input your TV switches to when you press the Watch TV button, click Show Advanced (Inputs) and select the input. If your TV does not support this feature, the Advanced (Inputs) section does not appear.
- Click OK.
- Click Sync Remote to update your remote with these settings.
Note: You cannot program multiple Activities on the Harmony 300. However, by customizing the Watch TV button, you can have it power on and off other devices rather than your TV and cable or satellite box. Think of the Watch TV button as your one button shortcut to your favorite activity.
Be sure to check back every week for more Harmony tips and tricks and feel free to send us your comments.